SOURCE: (from Lyndon Homemakers Lyndon Lore)
Lyndon began as a community of majestic old frame homes, set back on tree-shaded streets. Settlement began along the Louisville and Frankfort Railroad tracks (what is now Vinecrest). Rail was the only means of transportation at that time. Many of the original homes burned down as fires were dealt with from wells or cisterns.
Alvin Wood gave the name of Lyndon to the area. He purchased 200 acres in 1865. Wood is credited with creating one of the first subdivisions in Kentucky. While platting the area, he dedicated a lot for a school. This lot became the Progress School. The building is still standing at the corner of Wood Rd. and Whipps Mill. The home is registered with the Kentucky Historical Society. Wood lived in a large brick home (this site). That home burned but there is a stone building (carriage house) built from the stone foundation which is still standing.
At that time people had to go to St. Matthews to catch a train as there was no stop at Lyndon. The railroad told Alvin if he would furnish the land and build a station, they would begin service. That is when Wood named his station Lyndon. Lyndon became a stopping point in 1871. The first post office was set up in the depot, also in 1871.
Longtime residents remember the “Potato Era,” when everywhere you looked there were fields of potatoes. They were grown and then hauled by the railroad to various places along the line.
First grocery store: corner of Vinecrest and Lyndon Ln.
Electric Interurbans began shortly after 1900. Lyndon began to grow. Interurban ran all the way to LaGrange. The Lyndon stop was located on the south side of LaGrange (across from Lyndon Lanes). Students rode the interurban to Anchorage as there was no high school in the area. The interurban was discontinued in 1934 as the automobile became the favorite mode of travel.
The first school in Lyndon was Progress School (as noted above). This one-room school was started about 1880 and taught all 8 grades. Progress was known as a hard school with strict teachers, two of whom were descendants of Johann Sebastian Bach. Mary Alice Bromley was the last principal of the Progress School and the first principal of the new Lyndon Consolidated School when it was opened in 1938.
Lyndon Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1950. The first fire truck was kept in front of Lyndon Key Market by day and in John McCarthy’s Garage on Lyndon Ln. at night. The fire station was built by volunteers of the community. It opened in 1952. Fundraisers were held to support the purchase of more equipment and pay for operation of the Department.
Kentucky Military Institute claims to hold the title of “oldest private military school in America.” It was founded in 1845 by General T. C. Allen. In 1896, Col. C. W. Fowler moved the school from Farmdale, Ky. to the location on LaGrange Rd. which is now occupied by The Brook.
In 1875 the Kentucky Children’s Home began operation, also on LaGrange Rd. Its purpose was to receive homeless and destitute children for placement in foster homes. Private contributions supported the society at first and most of the work was carried out by civic-minded individuals. As the number of children increased, the state legislature began appropriating funds. The present site was purchased in April of 1922 and the campus was dedicated. Population of the home at that time was running well over 200 children. By 1940 the Commonwealth of Kentucky assumed full responsibility for the financial affairs. In 1960, KCH was moved under the department of Child Welfare Departments.
In the late 1930’s Lyndon Recreation was organized at Lyndon School. The program was financed with monies received from fish fries, carnivals and donations of interested parents and teachers. In 1945 Jefferson County Parks Board became associated with Lyndon Recreation. And in 1969 (when the Whipps Mill park was built), the program moved to that site.
Lyndon is also well-known around the city for their Lyndon Recreation Association, which runs several high quality, sports programs for kids and adults. Robsion Park is a popular 17 acre public park located in the heart of Lyndon. It features a picnic area. Playgrounds, Splash Pad and Walking Path. Lyndon is also partially home to E.P. Tom Sawyer Park State Park. This is a 550 acre state run park that features a gymnasium that has indoor courts for badminton, basketball, and volleyball as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool and weight room. The park also has 12 tennis courts, 14 soccer fields, 3 lighted softball fields, a mile-long fitness trail, a 1¼ mile nature trail, a permanent BMX track, a model aircraft airfield, a dog park, playgrounds, and picnic facilities.
FairSquare House Buyers – Why we buy houses in Lyndon
We really like buying property in the Lyndon area. It is only 10 miles east of downtown Louisville but has a wonderful suburban feel. It is a family friendly area with a wide array of housing options – apartments, townhomes and single family homes. Residence call Lyndon a “close-knit community with a small town feel but the conveniences of a larger city”.
Median Home Value: $183,000
Median Rent: $936
Median Household Income: $55,520
Rent vs. Own: 57% vs 43%
*Data Sourced from Niche.com. Please click here for information on all the data sources used by Niche.com.
- DuPont Manual High School
- J. Graham Brown School
- Louisville Male High School
- Eastern High School
- Greathouse Shryock Traditional Elementary School
For additional statistics on the Lyndon neighborhood, please review the Lyndon Neighborhood Profile created by the Kentucky Data Center in partnership with the University of Louisville and Metro United Way.
*Data Sourced from: Kentucky State Data Center